UNION WILL OPEN DOORS TO UNIVERSITY TODAY

MANY PROMINENT MEN WILL BE ENGAGED AS SPEAKERS

After a summer in which the Union has put its house in complete order, it will open its doors today better prepared than ever to serve its members. During the first two weeks of the College year--until Sunday. October 5--the Union extends a welcome to all members of the University to use the club house, which is located at the corner of Harvard and Quincy Streets. After eight o'clock in the evening, however, it will be closed to all but its members.

Last year the membership reached the high mark of 1936, which was such a tax on the facilities that the Governing Board felt it necessary to put into effect for this year a numerical limit of 2000. Anyone who is connected with the University, whether in the student of alumni bodies, or a member of one of the faculties, is eligible to join the Union and may do so by presenting a Bursar's card and signing a membership blank. This may be done at any of the places of registration, or at the Bursar's office, of at the Union itself.

Library includes 14,000 volumes

Founded in 1899, the Union offers to its members the attractions of a completely equipped club. The restaurant serves an average of 500 meals a day. Its library of some 14,000 volumes includes not only works of general interest but many histories and text books useful in college courses. In addition to reading, game, and lounge rooms, it has a well-equipped pool and billiard room and a barber shop.

During the year a number of lectures are given by men distinguished in their various fields. Already this fall the management has plans under way for bringing representatives of the competing parties in the presidential campaign to talk to the members.

Plans are also well formulated for holding tea-dances after all of the football games played in Cambridge and in addition several evening dances will be held during the year. The first of these evening dances will probably be the night before the game with Princeton.