Little Hall, for Years the Seat of Famous Widow Nolen's Tutoring School, Transformed Into Abode for 58 Freshmen

Little Hall, for 16 years the home of the Widow Nolen's tutoring establishment, will enter on a new phase of its existence this week when it becomes the home of 58 members of the Freshman class.

The transformation of Little Hall from a tutoring school to a Freshman dormitory has taken place during the summer months. In the old days, the second floor of the four story building at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Dunster Street was occupied by the administrative offices of the tutoring school. The third floor was taken up by the class rooms in which the Widow and his teaching force held their classes and seminars. And on the top story were the Widow Nolen's living quarters, where he and the three little French bulldogs which were his only companions led their lonely lives. Here, too, the widow kept many of his choicest antiques, which at the time of his death a year ago last June, were valued at over $100,000. Among his collections were rooms filled with rare old glassware, century-old clocks, antique furniture, and priceless old books.

Now all these various rooms have been made over into uniform suites. Twenty-six double rooms, and six single rooms will be turned over to the Freshmen this week. Room No. 43, in which the widow lived for many years, and No. 11, in which he died, will both be occupied by members of the class of 1928.

Among the caretakers who have been engaged to care for the rooms is Mrs. Mary Anderson, who was the Widow's housekeeper for over a quarter of a century. Ever since the Widow moved into Little Hall in 1908 she cared for his rooms on the top floor and nursed him in his illness toward the end of his life.

Little Hall was first leased to Mr. Nolen by the Little Brothers, and later purchased by him. A year ago it was acquired by the University, and from now on it will be used as a college dormitory.