Railroad Executive Elected New President of Board of Overseers

Rose From Railroad Man to Head of Northern Pacific--3 Times an Overseer

Howard Eliott '81, of New York City, has been elected president of the Board of Overseers, according to an announcement made last night at University Hall.

Mr. Eliott is to succeed George Wigglesworth '74, of Milton, whose term as Overseer expired last June. The election took place at the first meeting this year of the Board, in University Hall.

Mr. Eliott has been prominent in University affairs since his graduation, with the degree of Civil Engineer, in 1881. He has been elected a member of the Board of Overseers for three terms, the first beginning in 1909, and the third beginning last June. He has been very active in alumni affairs, serving as president of that body in 1917. Added to his connections with the University, is his life membership on the Board of Trustees of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws which he received from Middlebury College, Vermont, in the spring of 1916.

Began Work as Railroad Rodman

After his graduation from the University, Mr. Eliott was a rodman with the engineering corps of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. From that position he worked steadily up to auditor, general manager, and finally president of the Northern Pacific. At present, he is chairman of that railroad and of four others, a director of the Western Telegraph Company and of the National Security Company, and a member of the executive committees of numerous other public service corporations.