Announce Program For Building of New Business School Across Charles.

Saturday night the University announced the program for the building of the new Graduate School of Business Administration which is to be erected with $4,000,000 of the $5,000,000 gift made to the Unviersity late in April by George Fisher Baker, a New York banker. The remaining $1,000,000 will be used chiefly for the development of the grounds.

More than 200 architects have expressed their desire of entering the first stage of the competition, which is without stipend but open. Architeots will be allowed to compete in this stage without any previous investigation of their business qualifications. From the designs submitted the architectural jury, without knowledge of the identity of the authors, will select a certain number which seems to them worthy of admittance to the final stage, as far as can be judged by the designs submitted. The identity of these chosen competitors will then be disclosed and a careful investigation of the business qualifications of these men will be made by the Treasurer of the University and a representative of the Business School. The Treasurer will pick not more than six competitors for participation in the final stage.

Six Firms Are Picked Already

In November the final stage will commence, and will be open to the six or less winners of the first stage, together with the following firms already selected for this stage by the University authorities: Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbott, Boston; Professor J. J. Haffner and Associates, Cambridge; Guy Lowell, Boston; McKim, Mead and White, New York; Parker, Thomas and Rice, Boston; Walker and Gillette, New York. The competitors in the final stage will each be paid $2500.

The competition is for the selection of an architect, not for the selection of any particular design, and it is provided that the winner may be required to study again the whole problem in close touch with the University authorities.

To save the competitors from the large amount of detailed study necessary to design eight or ten buildings for different uses, certain drawings are included which have been carefully studied by the authorities.

Will Beautify Surroundings

The buildings are to be built on the opposite side of the Charles River from the Freshman Dormitories, and across the street from the Stadium. At present the site is largely low land with no tree growth, and the landscape treatment must provide as soon as possible an attractive but not too formal arrangement of fences, shrubbery, and trees, around the buildings.

The completed project will be a self-contained school for graduate students, but at the same time the closest possible relations; both physical, intellectual, and social, will be maintained with the rest of the Unviersity. It is the wish of the authorities that school spirit among the studnets be developed as much as possible, and that opportunity be offered for contact between students from all parts of the country for the interchange of ideas, discussion of work, and development of personality in an atmosphere made inspiring by the ambition of the faculty to help the students to be more than money-makers. Living quarters will be furnished for the unmarried members of the faculty as well as for some of the married professors, the idea being to develop the much desired intimate contact.

Buildings Will Be Close Together

To further this contact, and to preserve land for the future growth of the University, it is desired that the buildings be placed close together, rather than far apart, and, according to the program, "buildings designed in consonance with Harvard tradition, with appreciative use of materials and careful detail, with variation enough to avoid monotony, and with as much domestic feeling as is reasonable, are desired."

The program has received the approval of the American Institute of Architects. As the professional adviser, required by the code of the Institute, the University has appointed Professor C. W. Killam '07 of the Harvard School of Architecture, who is handling the details of the competition.