JONES TAKES NATIONAL AMAETUR GOLF TITLE

JONES BEAT VON ELM, KNEPPER, AND OUIMET TO GET TITLE

R. T. Jones Jr. '24 has at last reached that pinnacle of the golfing world to which many have aspired and few have attained, the national amateur championship. By defeating George Von Elm Saturday nine up and eight to play Jones has become National Amateur Champion.

This victory, coupled with his winning of the National Open Golf Championship last year, establishes Jones as one of America's four greatest golfers, there being three other men who have accomplished both feats, Francis Oulmet, Jerome Travers, and Charles "Chick" Evans.

Throughout the tournament Jones played remarkable golf, in fact he seemed to be playing better every day. In the qualifying round he was second with a score of 144. In the first round he put out William Thompson, onetime champion of Canada, by the score of 6 and 5. In the second round he eliminated Clarke Cochrah, who had been breaking course records right and left, 3 and 2. The third man to succumb to Jones' superior golf was Rudolph Knipper, old Princeton star. He was defeated 6 and 4.

Then came the semi-finals, and with them Francis Ouimet, the man who had just put out Jesse Guilford. Even Ouimet, one of the best of American amateur golfers, was utterly unable to cope with Jones, and he met an overwhelming downfall, 11 and 10.

In the finals Jones was as invincible as he was in the earlier matches, and Von Elm, who had won his way to the last round easily, was able to take only two holes from the Harvard man.

Although the transfer rule and the fact that Jones took his degree in the middle of last year conspired to keep him from representing the niversity, he was awarded a major "H" last spring.