PROFESSORS BECOME AUTHORS IN SUMMER

Alaska, South Africa, Panama, England and France Were Few of the Places Chosen for Vacation From College

Scattered all over the surface of the globe though they were, the great majority of University professors had one pursuit in common during the summer--namely, the writing of books. An inquiry by the CRIMSON into the activities of 35 Harvard professors during the vacation revealed this fact yesterday.

While Professor J. L. Coolidge was in England writing a book on "The Introduction to Mathematical Probability," and Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 was in western United States writing on the "Political Parties of Today," Professor F. W. Taussig '79 was in Cotuit studying international trade. In all, 22 members of the faculty of the 35 interviewed were engaged in writing and seven spent their vacation abroad.

Professor C. H. Hoskins spent the summer in Maine finishing his book "Studies in History of Mediaeval Science". This book is the result of much research work on the part of the former Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and is about to be published by the University Press.

Professor F. W. Taussig '79, of the Department of Economics, spent the greater part of his summer, "as usual", he said, in Cotuit. As for research, he stated: "I gave most of my time to the subject of international trade on which eventually I expect to publish something."

Last spring Professor C. H. Grandgent '83 cruised in the Mediterranean sea, and afterwards traveled through Sicily, Switzerland, and France. In May he was the official representative of the University at the seven-hundredth annual meeting of the Club of the Union of Naples. He also had an interview with the King of Spain, and later was one of the speakers on the stage of the San Cairo opera house, the largest in the world. Professor Grandgent then returned to this country and spent the summer at Mount Desert Island, Maine. While there he wrote some essays and several poems, and also read over the proofs of a book of essays which he is about to publish, entitled "Getting a Laugh, and Other Essays",

Professor Irving Batiott published "Democracy and Leadership" in April will publish in December the first volume of the series entitled "The History of French Criticism Volume two of this series, "The Masters of Modern French Criticism" appeared in 1911. The first volume will be printed under the title: "The Masters of Classical French Criticism". He has also written an article on Benedetto Crooe, which will appear in the December Yale Review.

Professor T. N. Carver taught rural economics at Cornell for six months. He spent a few days at the Farmingdale Agricultural School. The rest of the time he remained at Duxbury. At Farmingdale the members of the summer institute visited by means of fifty automobiles the Long Island farms. Though "they were harmless agriculturists" people believed their procession to be a demonstration of the Ku Klux Klan. Professor Carver believes most of the excitement over the Ku Klux Klan has just as innocent origin as this.

Professor G. H. Chase '96 spent his vacation at Kearearge N. H., where he was reading proof for a book, the "History of Sculpture", that he and Professor C. R. Post '04 are publishing this fall in Harper's "Fine Art" series.

Professor Chaffee Works on Book

Professor E. L. Chaffe, G. '11, spent his summer in Vermont woods near President Coolidge's home. During his spare hours, he worked on a book to be published some time next year. The subject of the book is "Thermionic Vacuum Tubes".

Professor J. L. Coolidge with his family selected England to while away the summer months. He was a visitor at the Wembley Exposition and viewed the Henley Regatta during his sojourn, Professor Coolidge has just put in the hands of the Oxford University Press a technical book called "The Introduction to Mathematical Probability", which he believes will make its appearance in late winter.

Professor J. D. M. Ford '94, busied himself during the summer on his Peterboro, N. H. farm. Professor Ford has recently finished work on his "Portuguese Grammar" (Heath & Co.), which he expects to be published before the end of this winter.

Together with Burton P. Fowler, Professor H. W. Holmes '03 is editing a volume of essays called "The Path of Learning". The essays have already appeared in the Atlantic Monthly. Professor Holmes has been in Cambridge during the summer, conducting two classes in the Summer School.

Holcombe Travels in West

Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 spent part of his summer traveling in Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and Mexico. The other part of the summer he spent finishing a book. This book, entitled "Political Parties of Today", is being printed by Barper and Brothers, and will be completed early in October, Professor Holcombe has made a very thorough study of present day politics.

Professor A. B. Hart '80 spent the summer at Marblehead Neck. He told a CRIMSON reporter that he had carried on profound research work in the modern novel, with practical illustrations. When asked if he intended to publish any of this research work he replied, "You misunderstand me. I spent my summer sitting on my front porch reading modern novels".

Professor J. L. Lowes, G. '05, who has spent the summer at his country house at North Scituate, has been working on a volume of Coleridge's imaginative use of his material.

Professor R. H. Lord '06 has just completed a book, the "Origin of the War of 1870".

Prof. C. H. Mac Hwain G. '03 spent the first part of the summer in Cambridge as an instructor in the Summer School. At the close of the summer session he went to his house in Maine and devoted his time to "loafing and working on a chapter for the Cambridge Medieval History."

Visits Mediterranean Countries

Shortly after the close of college, Professor A. E. Monroe '08 of the Department of Economics left for an extended vacation trip in southren Europe, visiting Italy, Greece and southren France and returning through Paris. Most of his time was spent in sightseeing and in visiting spots of historical interest.

Professor E. C. Moore, '02 professor of Christian Morals, has in preparation an article on the history of thought in the eighteenth century which will appear in the fourth volume of "The Outline of Christianity." His article will be among a number of others written by well-known ministers and scholars, covering the history of religion. Leaving the University in February, Professor Moore completed a trip around the world in time to spend the latter part of the summer in Geneva, Switzerland.

Professor C. H. Moore chose Alaska as the place in which to spend his summer vacation. He travelled over the "great open spaces" in search of game, accompanied by guides and a caravan of twelve pack mules. He bagged a good many deer, bears and lynx--bringing back the antlers of one of the deer as trophies to revive his memories of the trip.

Professor W. B. Munro, G. '01 of the Department of History and Government and Economics is preparing a book to be entitled "The Governments of Europe" which will be published either next summer or a year from this fall. He has been occupied in the preparation of this work since last February. It has not as yet been decided whether there will be one or two volumes, but there will be at least 800 pages of material printed.

Does Research Work in Panama

Professor G. H. Parker, '87 of the Department of Zoology, spent June and July in Panama, and at Borro, Colorado, doing research work with a group of eight other professors, among whom were Dr. W. M. Wheeler, of the Bussey Institute, and Mr. N. Banks, of the Museum of Comparative Zoology. He attended in the late summer the meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, at Toronto, Canada. He has also contributed a number of papers for scientific journals.

Professor R. B. Perry took a pleasure trip through the southren part of France.

Professor Arthur Pope 01 declared that he had passed an exceedingly unexciting summer in Dublin, New Hampshire, being one of the few members of the Fine Arts Department not to go abroad.

Professor E. K. Rand '94 lectured at the Summer Session of the University of California for six weeks. In the Latin Department he lectured on Ovid and in the Historical on Classical Culture. In company with Professors G. P. Baker '87, G. D. Birkoff '05, A. N. Holcombe, E. G. Boring, J. B. Conant '14, and Mrs. G. P. Baker, formerly acting Dean of Radcliffe College, he returned to Cambridge via Alaska and the Canadian Pacific Railroad. On July 17th Professor Rand and his colleagues mentioned above, who were also lecturing at the University of California, were the guests of honor at a dinner given by the Harvard Club of San Francisco.

Professor Richards Enjoys Rest

Professor T. W. Richards '86 spent the summer at Annisquam, Massachusetts, enjoying a thorough rest.

Professor W. Z. Ripley has just returned from his sabbatical leave which he spent in South Africa.