CRIMSON CLINCHES STATE SQUASH TITLE

May Be Unable to Play Match Today--Debevoise, Rawlins and Lenhart Move Up--Team B Plays Milton Club

The University squash racquets team definitely clinched the championship of Division A of the state squash league when A. L. Smith Jr. '25 and E. M. Upjohn '25 defeated John Cooke '15 and R. C. Cooke '17 respectively, of the Newton Center team yesterday afternoon at the University courts.

The Crimson team was virtually certain of the title, but the B. A. A. team had a mathematical chance to come out on top. If the University players had lost all five matches to Newton Center and the B. A. A. had won its five matches this week the teams would have been tied for top honors.

Smith, playing number five, won from his opponent in a hard fought match which went the full five game limit before the Crimson player finally won. The lead shifted constantly from one player to the other in each game. The scores were: 15-14, 13-15, 18-17, 12-15, 15-12.

R. C. Cooke fell before Upjohn, who played number four, in the second game played yesterday. Upjohn won handily by the scores of 15-9, 15-7, and 17-14.

Three matches with Newton Center remain to be played this afternoon at the University courts. Captain Dixon was reported to have a light attack of the grippe last night, and he may not be able to take part today. If he is unable to play G. D. Debevoise '26 will move up to number one and H. N. Rawlins '27 to number two. P. M. Lenhart '27, number one man on Team B, will in this case take the number three berth on Team A left open by the promotion of Rawlins.

Team B will tackle the Milton Club in a league match this afternoon at the University squash courts in Division B. Yesterday P. R. Pease '26, the fifth man on Team B, defeated F. R. Ayer '02 of Milton 15-10, 18-17, 15-11.

The Freshmen will meet the Harvard Club in Class C. This match will be played at the Harvard Club courts.

Lincoln's Inn Society drew a bye this week in Class A, but in Class B will play the Neighborhood Club and in Class C the B. A. A. These matches will be played this afternoon at the University courts.