WIRELESS CLUB OUT TO BREAK RECORDS

Experimental Operations Pleasing--Formal Opening Soon--Club Has 30 Licensed Operators

Six amateur radio stations on the Pacific Coast have been in communication with Radio Station IXJ-IAF, the new relay station of the University Wireless Club located on top of the Stadium, in two days of experimental operation. This announcement was issued by the secretary of the club, Harris Fahnestock '27, when interviewed last night.

"The very satisfactory results", he said, "which we have achieved in the few days during which we have had our transmitter working have completely dispelled the fears which we entertained when we first decided to construct our station on top of the Stadium. Although we thought that the location could not fail to be infinitely better than that of last year in Westmorley Hall, we were very much afraid that the steel and cement construction of the Stadium might have some bad effects on its efficiency.

Hope to Break a Few Records

"Our receivers have, however, picked up amateur stations in England, France, Holland, and Brazil. We have also heard a commercial station in Argentine. Although only the short wave transmitter has been in operation, we have already in addition to our West Coast record, communicated with amateur stations in all of the nine districts in the United States. This, in two days, is far better than we did in two years in the old location. As soon as the finishing touches have been made and the other transmitter hooked up we should be able to start breaking a few records."

Formal Opening Within a Week

It is expected that within a week the station will be formally opened. When it is, an extremely well-equipped amateur station will represent the University on the air. There are two powerful 100 watt tube transmitters, designed to operate on a wave length of 75-200 meters. A complicated system of switching will permit the operator on duty to have at his command three different circuits, in addition to a 50 watt radiophone. Three separate receivers have been installed, which cover the entire range of wireless communication and will enable everything from experimental stations on 20 meters to powerful Transatlantic stations on 25,000 meters to be heard.

A total of 30 licensed operators is enrolled in the club. These will all be assigned to watches, as it is expected to keep the new station on the air regularly every day and night. In spite of this large number it is stated that still more men of experience are required. Such men may apply to the Secretary at 22 Plympton Street