FORMER UNIVERSITY PLAYER INVENTS NEW FOOTBALL TOGS

P. L. Wendell '13, former University back, and now football coach at Lehigh, has invented something decidedly novel in the way of football togs. His Lehigh team, when it lined up for its game last Saturday was equipped with short's heavily padded, but closely resembling the trunks now worn by basketball and track teams.

To provide the necessary protection, the new trunks are heavily padded and special leg and knee pads protect the legs from injury. This new equipment, according to Wendell, will enable a player to shift quickly from a crouching position to a standing or running position, and in wet weather it will naturally reduce the weight of equipment and enable faster running and quicker dodging.

The players are said to look rather unusual to American football followers, but the idea is not entirely new, McGill having appeared in a somewhat similar outfit for its game with Dartmouth last year. No injuries that can be traced to the change of equipment have occurred, and Coach Wendell believes that his innovation will soon spread to other colleges.