P. B. H. CANNOT FIND OPPONENT FOR OSBORNE

Noted Penologist to Speak on November 6--His Proposed Opponent Denies All Knowledge of Meeting

Thomas Mott Osborne '84, noted penologist and champion of prison reform, who gained national prominence as reform warden of Sing Sing prison, will lecture again this year at the Phillips Brooks House on November 6.

Mr. Osborne's lecture of last winter on "Crime and Criminals", raised much dissension among criminal experts of Boston and Cambridge, several of whom suggested that someone should answer the charges and statements made by the speaker. Accordingly, Captain Ainsley R. Armstrong of the Boston Police Department was mentioned to the Phillips Brooks House as a worthy opponent for Mr. Osborne in a debate to be held on the date of his approaching lecture.

The idea was enthusiastically accepted by Mr. Osborne, who wrote to H. H. MaoCubbin '26, chairman of the lecture committee. "Bring on Captain Armstrong or any other Goliath you have. The debate you write of is very enticing and I am more than willing to go it with Captain Armstrong or any one else you can get.

Press Was maccurate

"I should suggest, however, that in such an event my opponent find out in advance what I actually did say and not base any arguments upon the misquotations of the daily press. On the occasion of my last visit some of my statements were badly misinterpreted in various accounts of my lecture."

Captain Armstrong on being questioned as to his feeling on the subject, said that he had heard nothing of the proposed meeting with Mr. Osborne, and refused absolutely to enter into any debate. Although disagreeing with various minor statements made by the famous reformer, his beliefs coincided fundamentally. The Phillips Brooks House is still trying to arrange a debate of some sort, but to date no opponent has been found.

Mr. Osborne's career as a reformer, first as chairman of the New York Commission on Prison Reform and later as Warden of Sing Sing and as Commander of the Naval Prison at Hortsmouth, N. H., has attracted nation wide interest.