HARVARD AND OXFORD WILL MEET ON ROSTRUM TONIGHT

Prosperity of This Country Amazes Visitors--Welshman, Scot and Briton on Team

All preparations have been completed for the third meeting between Harvard and Oxford upon the debating platform. Only the cheaper seats in Symphony Hall remain unsold, and it is expected that these will be filled when the first Oxford speaker mounts the platform at 8.15 o'clock tonight.

The only last-minute change that has been announced is the substitution of Arthur Lourie, Choate Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, as official teller representing the Oxford team. Mr. Lourie is taking the place of Mr. J. A. Brannan, second vice-consul for Great Britain in Boston, who will be unable to act.

No Rebuttals Anticipated

The invaders are upholding the affirmative side of the argument and their first man will open the debate. The question to be debated is, "Resolved, That the growth and activities of the Socialist movement are detrimental to social progress". In trying to convince the audience of the truth of their contention, each side will be allowed 45 minutes, each man being given 15 minutes on the rostrum. No rebuttals are anticipated, but by mutual agreement before the debate, the teams may be allowed to refute formally their opponents' contentions.

In accordance with the English custom, no judges decision will be rendered. The teams are trying to win the support of the house, the verdict being in the hands of the audience alone. The vote will be taken by written ballots which will be collected by the ushers and counted under the supervision of the official tellers, Mr. Lourie and J. W. D. Seymour '17.

Oxford will be represented by H. J. S. Wedderburn, H. V. Floyd-Jones, and R. H. Bernays. Harvard will send to the rostrum W. D. Chapman '27, president of the Debating Council, Barrett Williams '28, and R. S. Fanning 3L. in that order.

Met Dartmouth On Wednesday

The invading Oxonians reached Boston last night from Dartmouth, where on Wednesday they took part in a "split debate" on the question. "Resolved, That this house favors America's entry into the International Court of Justice."

Their tour of the country includes 19 meetings with the leading colleges throughout the East. Colby. Bates, Hamilton, and Dartmouth are among the six colleges that have already been encountered, the debate tonight being the seventh of the trip. Only in two instances did the invaders debate as a team, in the other instances the "split debate" being used. In the two instances where the Britishers debated as a unit, they were defeated by popular vote. In each instance the question was Prohibition, and the invaders favored its abolition.

To Debate Yale on Ignorance

The English trio will remain in Boston until October 20. On that date they will oppose Wellesley in the eighth debate of the trip. Following this debate, the Britishers will journey to New Haven where Yale is to join them in a "split debate" on the intriguing subject. "Resolved. That ignorance is bliss."

The English team when interviewed jointly shortly after their arrival last night at the Bellevue, found the prospect ty of the United States the country's feature most apparent to the foreigner. All three members of the team were unanimous in declaring the standard of living among all classes in this country to be higher than in Europe. "In England," Mr. Lloyd-Jones told the CRIMSON, "there has usually been begging in the larger cities. Not only is this so since the war; it has always been more or less the case. But here in America we have seen very little begging or selling of shoe-laces on the streets." "Briefly," supplemented Mr. R. H. Bernays, "your rich are not so rich, and your poor are not so poor. In this country there is not the tremendous inequality that exists in Europe."

Find Athletics Prominent

New York's progressive spirit was also considered as striking to a foreigner, but not quite as outstanding as the prominence given to athletics in American colleges.

"I don't think that we are as enthusiastic about university athletics," remarked Mr. Lloyd-Jones, "and certainly the English newspapers don't give our teams the publicity that your teams get. Sporting events, both amateur and professional, are relegated to the back pages of British newspapers."

All the visiting debaters have already taken their bachelor degrees at Oxford, and are classed as graduate students. Each of the three has had a term as President of the Oxford Union, and they are all on their first trip to this country.

Mr. H. V. Lloyd-Jones, who is acting as manager, is the Welsh member of the team, the other two hailing from Scotland and London. Mr. Lloyd-Jones prepared for Oxford at the University of London, and is the only visiting orator who did not attend a so-called "public" school. His college is Jesus, and he classes himself politically as a Liberal. Although Welshmen have the reputation of being eloquent, he is the first man from that part of Great Britain to preside over the Oxford Union.

Bears Scotch Standard

Mr. H. J. S. Wedderburn, who is well above six feet in height, is a native of Scotland. He holds the title of Hereditary Standard Bearer for Scotland, which allows him to carry the Scotch standard at coronation ceremonies. This honor has been held by his ancestors since 1107. His college is Balliol, and he prepared at Winchester. Politically he is a Conservative, the only one of the trio. Cricket is his sport, but he is not a "Blue."

R. H. Bernays is the Londoner of the party. He prepared at Russell, and his college is Worcester. He has rowed on the college crew, but he has also failed to win his "blue." He is politically Liberal, and expects to stand for Parliament at the next election