OLD PLAN EXAMINATIONS MORE POPULAR THAN NEW

Applications for Admission to Harvard by Former More Than Double Those by New Plan

Figure recently issued from the college office show that, contrary to all expectations, the Old Plan examinations for admission to the University are rapidly gaining in popularity over the so-called New Plan examinations.

Applications for admission by the Old Plan numbered 586, while only 267 applications for the New Plan were received. By the Honor System, admitting without examinations the first seventh of the graduating class in each preparatory school, 314, or approximately one third of the present Freshman class were taken in this fall.

An increase over last year of 101 students admitted by the old Plan appears, while the New Plan shows no appreciable increase in numbers and a decrease in percentage, as the total number of admissions to University this fall is greater by 105 than in 1924.

The so-called New Plan was inaugurated some time ago in order to make it possible for meg not especially drilled for the College Board Examinations to take four comprehensive tests in requisite fields. Another purpose, announced by the Office, was to introduce a more personal element in admissions, in requiring that the application's past history and ability of leadership be considered.

The method is apparently not popular with the secondary schools, as shown by the small number of students attempting to enter by it. It has also proved to be a more difficult means of entrance since nearly 30 per cent of applicants by the New Plan were rejected, as against the 20 per cent rejected by the Old Plan.