FALL BASEBALL PRACTICE ENDS WITH COLD WEATHER

GATES, BOOTH, CLIFFORD SHOW UP WELL ON MOUND

Yesterday was to have been the last day of fall baseball, but due to the cold weather, the final session was called, and the fall season officially declared closed.

Coach Mitchell, who had charge of the fall practice pending the appointment of a permanent coach to succeed E. W. Mahan '16 who resigned last summer, declared himself satisfied with the results of the fall sessions. Cold weather resulted in the calling of many of the practice games, but the fall work revealed some promising material, especially as regards Freshmen.

Of the men out for fall practice, C. L. Todd '26, captain of the University nine, M. F. Amsden '26, H. L. DeRham '27, C. O. Erickson '27, R. H. Booth Jr. '27, G. M. Gates '27, C. P. Clifford '27, and R. C. Sullivan '28 promise to be of the most value to the team next spring.

Sullivan Seems Great Infielder

Sullivan, according to Coach Mitchell, promises to fill the shortstop position left vacant by the absence from athletics of Willard Howard '27. The University mentor and former manager of the Boston National League team, declares Sullivan to be one of the best infielders that he has seen on the University diamond in years.

The good form shown by Booth, Gates, and Clifford, all, moundsmen, is also encouraging in view of the graduations of all last year's University hurlers.

Of the Freshmen playing fall baseball, B. L. Elkins '29, R. E. Durkee '29, and G. P. Davis '29 are fancied most by Coach Davidson for his Freshman nine next spring. Elkins, former St. Mark's captain, seems to have one of the infield berths cinched. Davis, a pitcher, is a former Choate athlete, and promises to win a position on Coach Davidson's corps of hurlers. The heavy hitting of Durkee won for him the position of clean-up batter on one of the fall teams. The former Greenfield High player is expected to be a strong competitor for the first base post on the 1939 nine.