SYNTHETIC ATMOSPHERE

In the past, professional football ha thrilled the sporting public about as deeply as the national chess tournament. It is a herald of a new era, therefore, to learn that the New York Football Giants, a professional team, have found it necessary to hire a cheer leader and band for their home games. The public, of course, is accustomed to taking its football with a good deal of seltzer in the shape of organized noise, and if sport enthusiasts are to be enticed into transferring their favor from college to professional games, nothing should be spared to make them feel at home.

Still, the question will intrude itself: who will do the cheering and the singing? The sober citizen who pays entrance money may utter disconnected howls and yells during a thrilling end run, just as he would during a fast double play, but even the antics of the best cheerleader the club owners can find will scarcely remove his natural repugnance to bawling rhythmic nonsense. That kind of thing is all well enough for the Youngsters, but hard on the middle aged lungs and lanynx.

There is only one solution, and the Football Giants have partially hit upon it. Football is a tremendously dramatic spectacle, not only in the game itself but in all the trappings as well. The Football Giants will have to go the whole length and bring in all the urchins from the corner lots to do the hard vocal labor. Then, with a leather-lunged cheering section of hired talent, and with hired cheer-leaders and a hired band, the excitement-loving, face can lean back in his seat and really enjoy all the spontaneous pagentry that is football.