AIRING THE AIR

Several months ago, Colonel William Mitchell of the Army Air Service was too candid in the expression of his opinions concerning the way affairs of aviation were being conducted in the United States--too candid, that is, for the comfort of those in charge; not candid enough, perhaps, to satisfy the curiosity of civilians. As a result of his frankness, he is now appearing before a court-martial. In theory, he is being tried for insubordination and other offenses. In fact, the Navy department is being tried for maladministration and inefficiency.

The unearthing of governmental scandals is an unpleasant procedure, and often a hazardous and thankless one. In bringing to light the faults of the system of which he was a part, Colonel Mitchell is displaying a form of valor that is even greater than that of the battlefield. Facing the probable indignation of the public and the inevitable wrath of one's superiors requires firmer mettle than does the facing of cannons. Instead of being dishonorably discharged from the army, as it is threatened he will be, Colonel Mitchell should be awarded a medal for distinguished service.