HARVARD BRAVES FAVORED BEAR AT PROVIDENCE TODAY

New Backfield Power Unknown--Brunonians Out for Fourth Straight Win Over Harvard

Striving for its fourth consecutive victory over Harvard, Brown's eleven enters today's game a three-to-one favorite.

The contest, which will start at 2 o'clock will mark the final dedication of Brown's new stadium. Yale did the first part of the dedicating when it turned back the Bruin by a 20 to 7 score, but it will take the most remarkable comeback in gridiron history to put Harvard on top this afternoon.

But the reorganized Crimson eleven is a far different team from that which was overwhelmed at Princeton a week ago. The team invades Providence today with a spirit of surprising confidence, apparently unwarranted to the casual observer, yet not wholly unreasonable.

Coady Bolsters Line

The Harvard line today should be far stronger than at any time this season. It is often said that a team is as weak as its tackles, and Coady, back at his old position in the line, is an experienced tackle, one of the best Harvard has had for some time.

Pratt at the other tackle has come along slowly. The rangy Sophomore has been slow across the line of scrimmage, but he is gaining experience and has learned much this season.

A new center will be in action today. C. H. Bradford and Hoague at the guards and Turner at center are all fighting players, and should be at their best today with a regular berth in the Yale game almost within their grasp.

Bruin Line Heavy

The Brown line is one to be conjured with. Four of the players weigh over 200 pounds. Smith, the injured tackle, who has just returned to the line-up, tipping the scales at 214. The other tackle, Talbot, weighs only 174, but is considered one of the strongest linemen in the East. Against Dartmouth he was especially brilliant, stopping the great Oberlander effectively.

On the ends of this powerful frontier are two of the best wingmen in Brown history, Broda and Captain Stifler. Each is an able receiver of the forward pass, and each is mighty on the defense. Broda, although he weighs only 155 pounds, has been frequently mentioned as one of the best ends in the country.

Harvard Ends Strong

Harvard's ends, however, are of no mean calibre themselves. Sayles, the best forward pass receiver on the University squad, and E. H. Bradford, fast and aggressive, make the ends the strongest parts of the Crimson machine.

The Harvard ends will have plenty of work to do today. The Brown backs, Keefer, Payor, and Dixon, are famed for their speed and shiftiness. Keefer has successfully circled most of Brown's opponents' ends, but will have a hard time. getting around Sayles and Bradford today.

Harvard's backfield is more or less an unknown quantity. Stafford has not started a game at quarterback this year. Cheek has not played halfback since the mud battle with Yale in the Stadium two years ago. Crosby's work against Dartmouth was brilliant, and much is expected of him today. The fullback, Chauncey, is making his first appearance of the season.

Harvard Desperate Underdog

The last minute shifting of Chauncey to the first team shows conclusively that Harvard is the underdog today, and a desperate underdog at that. To start in an important game a Sophomore who has not even played in a minor contest is a most unusual decision. It shows that the coaches have great faith in Chauncey, who has been hampered by an injured ankle all fall.

Chauncey is expected to do Harvard's punting today, but if his ankle hurts his kicking it seems likely that Coady will be pulled back when a punt is called for, with Chauncey going to tackle.

Today's game marks the second encounter in recent years when Harvard has started with its full available strength against the Bruin. Ten years ago today a team of Crimson substitutes defeated Brown, 16 to 7. A year later Brown, with the great Pollard running wild, rolled up 21 points against the Harvard reserves. It was the Crimson policy to start a substitute team against Brown, in order to save the first string men for the Yale encounter.

Last year, however, Harvard needed to win the Brown game in order to restore the confidence shattered by Princeton's overwhelming victory. The best team available was sent against the Bruins. Today much the same situation exists. Harvard has suffered two crushing defeats, and unless Brown is beaten it will be a tremendous task to put the players in the right frame of mind for the Yale contest.

Maher and Adle are the only men definitely out of today's contest. The rest of the Crimson squad is ready for action and the strongest possible line-up will be sent into the game in a desperate but not hopeless effort to keep the Bruin from making it four straight over Harvard.

The dedication exercises today will start at 1.45 o'clock, 15 minutes before the game is scheduled to begin. The gates will be opened to ticket holders at 12.45 o'clock, an hour before the dedication ceremony takes place