DEBATERS TO FACE FOOTBALL QUESTION

Progress of Professional Football Grange's Recent Step, and Owen's Article Have Focused Attention

The Harvard Debating Union will plunge into the controversy over football's place in college life when it holds its second meeting of the year next Tuesday night.

"Resolved, That this house deprecates the present over-emphasis upon intercollegiate football" is the subject announced for next week's discussion. Because of the subject chosen, the meeting, which was originally scheduled for tonight, was postponed. If the original schedule had been adhered to announcement of the subject would have been most inappropriate, coming in "Yale game week."

The subject chosen is especially timely. This season, to a greater extent than ever before, there has been heaped upon certain angles of intercollegiate football criticism and condemnation. The very important place that it has assumed caused much adverse comment, and the article of George Owen '23, which called football drudgery added fuel to the fire. The recent growth in the prestige of professional football, aided and abetted by the decision of Grange, Illinois quarterback; to turn professional adds another interesting angle to the question.

The matter will be discussed in the same manner that "Collegiatism" was handled two weeks ago. There will be three speakers on each side, to speak five minutes apiece. Thereafter the meeting will be opened to discussion from the floor.

Next Tuesday's meeting will also be an organization meeting. Officers are to be elected, and members of the University will be given an opportunity to join the Debating Union. The meeting will be held, as it was a fortnight ago, in the Faculty Room of the Harvard Union.