HOCKEY AND BASKETBALL SEASONS IN FULL SWING

35 MEN REPORT TO WATCHER FOR BASKETBALL TEAM

Sixty candidates reported yesterday afternoon for the University hockey team, while 35 basketball candidates, reported to Cache Watcher at the Varsity Club. Five letter H-men were among those who are competing for the vacant positions on the ice team. Captain Thayer Cumings '26 led the men on a two-mile run, which completed the first day's workout.

C. S. Gross '27 and R. S. Scott '27, forwards, L. O. Pratt '26, defense man, and Captain Cumings and J. L. Newell '26, goaltenders, were the veterans on hand. Nathaniel Hamlen '27, N. S. Howe '26, and Isadore Zarakov '27, forwards, were excused, having been playing football, and will not report for two weeks. C. D. Coady '27, captain of his Freshman team two years ago, was also excused and is not expected to report for some time, due to injuries sustained in Saturday's game.

Several Freshmen Report

From last year's unbeaten Freshman team, G. C. Crawford. '28, wing, J. B. Robinson '28, defense man, and Joseph Merrill Jr. '28 and W. W. Adams '28, goaltender, reported. J. P. Chase '28, brother of last year's defense star and a promising player himself, is expected to report today. W. G. Saltonstall '28, leader of the 1928 sextet, will not play hockey this year.

A large number of excellent goaltenders reported yesterday. Captain Cumings and Newell have been on the University squad for two years. Morrill guarded the cage in fine fashion for his Freshman team, and Adams, who was ill most of last season, is an experienced goaltend who appears promising.

Court Game Launched

Coach Watcher and Captain W. T. Smith '26 were the speakers at the session which launched basketball last night at the Varsity Club.

Five letter men form a nucleus around which the Crimson team will be built. Prospects consequently are very bright, and no time will be lost in whipping the team into shape for the coming contests.