A NOVEL NOVELTY

Cosmo Hamilton author and boiler of literary pots has recently tried an original experiment. Realizing that the usual novel, or at least his usual novel could be compressed into a radio speech he has written and delivered such a chef d'oeuvre to the silent spaces. In fifteen minutes he has been able to real all of his novel, "Sons of Mothers", to the literary lethargists of the modern world, he radio public. Thus he has proven to his own satisfaction that such an abbreviated novel can be written.

Yet one must remember that, after all, there is very little thought in the average "big seller" and that such a book could, indeed, be reduced to pamphlet, size and still show padding. Mr. Hamilton in developing are theory has merely proved another that most modern novels are expansions of nothing at all.

When "Madame Bovarv", the "Egolst", "Pere Goriot" can be treated adequately in fifteen minutes the world will have grown so avil speed that no alternative to this writing of radio povelettes will be allowed the author. Until then it is evident that the aspirant for real literary honors must strive for something more than can be crowded into fifteen minutes and stuffed into the ears of people waiting in bear stock reports or the best jazz hand.