AFTER CAP AND GOWN

Occasionally an undergraduate stops to wonder how much the college will mean to him after he has left it and passed into its wilderness of alumni. And sometimes it occurs to him that when the faces in the yard have changed and the buildings seem strange and unnatural that Harvard will forget him. At those times he fears that graduates' day will be peopled with an indifferent and a disinterested student body who have forgotten him and his friends, who are careless of the traditions which he once guarded.

And so it will please the thoughtful undergraduate who looks beyond the dead-line of commencement, as well as his elder, the graduate, to learn of the formation of an undergraduate and graduate committee to deal with the problem of graduates' day. It is its duty to bring the alumni in direct contact with current college conditions, to make over their mental pictures of Harvard to fit the circumstances of time. It is tremendously important that Harvard be coordinated by an understanding graduate body. In the past there has been too much talk and too little comprehension..

The intelligence of this new plan is readily seen. Undergraduate speeches before returning alumni, arranged by a combined committee, can scarcely fail to ease the relations between these brothers of differing age. The college should be stronger for it.