LAYING DOWN THE LAW

"Officer, do you see that fellow with the sour face? Such men are dangerous. His lean and hungry look is his warrant. Arrest the hypocrite."

This may become a commonplace occurrence anywhere in New York State in the near future. A bill has been introduced in the New York Legislature to make hypocrisy a crime. The author of the bill says he is aiming at proposers of blue laws. He would turn the scales upon the reform group and make them feel the hand of the law they have so often invoked.

It was no fool who said: "Americans are the most begoverned people in the world." Between the proposers of extraordinary blue laws and equally extraordinary anti-blue laws the public is sure to be caught by the devil and the deep blue sea either going or coming. But while feasting on this lugubrious thought, it may be some comfort to know that other nations have their petty restrictions too.

A short while ago, Norway upheld its dry law in a general election. France has placed all radio under the censorship of the police. Smoking has been prohibited in Mecca, the Holy City of the Moslems. In Russia the soviet commissar of health has issued an edict against kissing. Not only is the usual form of this indoor sport forbidden, the kissing of ladies' hands by men is also taboo. The practice is doubly accursed, being both unhygienic and bourgeois. Handshaking, too, has been prohibited in many departments.

Thus it goes, According to latest research, no government has yet prescribed Postum instead of coffee, nor made it illegal to smile back at a young lady, if she smiles first. Perhaps it is unwise to mention those oversights: they will probably be incorporated in the next bill.