Last Traces of World War Prejudice Die as Deutscher Verein Reorganizes--Recall Club's Pre-Volstead Glory

In the days when Cambridge was a dry city, long before the Prohibition Amendment, the club room of the Deutscher Verein in Grays Hall was the only place where beer was kept on tap, and one of the few places where refreshments were served with any sort of luxury. The distinguished personnel of the club was well known, and such prominent undergraduates as R. Norris Williams end'16, the tennis player, served as president.

Those years saw the annual baseball games between the Cercle Francais and the Deutscher Verein carried on with as much equanimity and friendship as is found in the CRIMSON Lampoon games of today; but the war came, and the German Club automatically ceased to exist.

Since peace was declared there have been several attempts to arouse interest in the organization, but without success until this year.

At a recent meeting at the Union, interested students gathered to discuss the prospects for reorganization. Professor J. A. Walz spoke on the illustrious past of the club and offered to lend assistance in any way.

It was decided that the purpose on the Club should be "to keep up an interest in contemporary. German literature," and that members of the German Department should be invited to give readings at the discussion meetings of the Club. A suggestion that activities in dramatics should be resumed was enthusiastically carried.

The old constitution of the Verein is now being redrawn by a committee appointed at the meeting, and nominations for officers are under consideration.

In this step is seen the removal of another support from the old stand of World War prejudices.