The Retort Courteous

THE MAIL--

The Harvard Crimson assumes no responsibility for the sentiments expressed by correspondents, and reserves the right to exclude any communication whose publication may for any reason seem undesirable. Except by special arrangement, communications cannot be published anonymously.

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

One might easily conclude from the editorial headed "Men or Shadows--which?" that the editor is of the opinion the only means for an undergraduate to evade the low life of a "Shadow" would be through the channel of more and more highly competitive extra-curriculum work--at any cost.

Does not such highly competitive machinery defeat at one stroke the real purpose of a higher institution of learning? Higher institutions of learning have lived through long ages, seen nations rise and fall, governments come and go in their real purpose to follow up truth. It does not seem to me that any such machinery carries torth the torch of truth on its way through the life of an individual in the life of society as a whole - can any business managership or other such goals so much sought do other than tend to lead one into narrowness from the lack of thought gives such ends as truth. Cannot sports for sports sake accomplish more than sports for the many other motives pressing them on? And if sports or any other outside activity were to be placed on such a level as to dominate great over-emphasis, should not greater "ewards for all, both mentally and physically, socially and morally be forth-coming?

"A Chinese definition of an American college is an athletic and extra-currila activity institution where opportunities of study are offered for the blind and feeble bedied." Why give such over emphasis where none is due. Well should Harvard be glad when she may set the stride for other American colleges in giving emphasis where it is due. Wm. Morton Jr. '27.