SAYS ARTHUR BEANE MADE PHILLIPS BROOKS HOUSE

HIS ENTHUSIASM AND KNOWLEDGE HAVE BEEN INVALUABLE

The following statement was made by Professor E. C. Moore in tribute to Arthur Beane '11 whose funeral was held yesterday afternoon in Appleton Chapel:

"Arthur Beane said many times that the Phillips Brooks House had made him. If that was true of his undergraduate years, the converse was true of the years which he spent here as Graduate Secretary. More than anyone else, Arthur Beane made the Phillips Brooks House what it now is. He was here long enough to have a policy and to develop it. Before him, we had had some Secretaries who gave only part time work, and no Secretary who remained more than two years. He gave himself with enthusiasm to the task of organizing the constituent societies into one whole, the Phillips Brooks House Association, as it now exists. He did it with tact and patience, with real appreciation of conflicting points of view. No one who does not remember the old situation can realize how great a gain that has been. He threw himself with characteristic energy into the increasing of the endowment for the House and into the organization of the present method of current contributions. No one who witnessed the disorganization of the work of the Brooks House, along with almost everything else in the University during the war, can forget the resourcefulness with which Beane met that situation and rallied the community to the support of the things which were then done through the Brooks House. In all the councils of the House since he laid down his office, his knowledge and sympathy have been invaluable. He gave without reserve of his time and energy. His judgment was almost unerring, his candor and directness refreshing, his humor and appreciation of the standpoint of the students a great aid. In the notable development of the House as a center of charitable and social work in the application of religion, the outstanding thing was Beane's own sincere and simple religiousness and his feeling that true religion was the basis of the work."