DAVIDSON PARES 1928 BASEBALL SQUAD TO 20

CHAUNCEY SHIFTED TO CATCHER FROM PITCHING STAFF

Freshman baseball candidates were yesterday divided into three squads, to report at the cage separately during the week. Though the coaches called it a division rather than a cut, Squad A, consisting of 20 men, is for all practical purposes, the first Freshman Squad.

The pitchers retained on Squad A are G. F. Cozzens, who has had three years of experience on the St. George's nine, J. N. Barbee, from Carl Schurz High School in Chicago; and F. B. Cutts, two years pitcher at Moses Brown School; and D. B. Linscott, star at Exeter for two seasons.

Chauncey Dons Mask and Mitt

Henry Chauncey, for five years first baseman and pitcher on the Groton School nine, is being tried behind the bat this year. The other men who are retained as catchers are D. P. Donaldson from Andover, and R. W. Turner, from Worcester Academy.

First base is being contested by W. W. Lord from Andover, F. T. Waite from Winthrop High School, and Joseph Morrill Jr., captain of the Middlesex nine last year. The other infielders on Squad A are A. G. Pollard of Middlesex, five-year veteran of the team there and captain two years ago; Hamilton Heard, captain of the Groton School nine last year; B. W. Morris, who played three years at St. George's; R. I. Hunneman, third baseman from Noble and Greenough; and John Buttrick, who was on the Exeter squad last year.

Five candidates for the outfield were retained on Squad A. They are G. K. Brown and W. B. Jones of the Andover team; F. W. Adams from Exeter; J. A. Nordberg, from the Boston Latin nine; and F. W. Norris, who was regular outfielder for three years at Milton, and captain last spring.

Squad A will report on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 4 o'clock, and Squad B consisting of 19 men, will practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the same hour. The rest of the candidates will temporarily make up the Second Freshman squad, and will hold practice on Thursdays at 5 o'clock.