YALE DEBATERS GET UNIVERSITY SCALP

Negative Team Wins at Princeton--Audience Here Favored University but Judges Ruled Otherwise

Of the two Harvard teams which took part on Saturday night, in the triangular debate between Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, the negative team was victorious over Princeton, and the affirmative team was defeated by Yale at Cambridge.

In the Paine Hall of the Music Building, the University debaters contested with Yale, upholding the affirmative side of the subject: "Resolved, That this house views with alarm the present tendency of Eastern colleges to stress a standard of business and professional utility in college education." D. W. Chapman '27, Barrett Williams '28, and D. L. Dickson '27 were the Harvard speakers. The Yale team was composed of J. G. Becker, E. L. Richards, and J. McH. Hopkins.

In the course of the debate, the University speakers showed that there exists in many colleges a decided stress on commercialism, and that these universities do not contribute to the greatness of a civilization as much as colleges which dispense culture and the background of a liberal education. The further evils of stressing business in colleges lie in the premature choice of a career which a boy must make under such a regime and in the mistaken belief of the boy that the best things which college has to offer are the social and extra-curricular activities.

Elis Say Trend Is Not Anti-Cultural

The Yale debaters undermined the entire argument of their opponents by making the point that the "present tendency" in colleges is not to slight a cultural education, but rather to equalize the cultural with the professional. Furthermore, such a tendency must be negligible in character, as no distinction can be drawn between courses which are cultural and those which are professional, except in a professional school.

The audience sided with the University speakers and awarded them the victory, 82 to 43, but Yale was favored two to one by the judges, who were the Reverend T. G. Soares, D.D., Mr. Willis Abbott, and Mr. W. G. Shaw.

The Coolidge prize of $100, for the most skill and initiative in the preparation of a debate, was awarded to D. W. Chapman '27, the first speaker for Harvard.

Yale was also victorious over Princeton at New Haven, winning by two to one, although the audience voted in Princeton's favor. At Princeton, Harvard defeated the orange and black speakers by the unanimous vote of the judges. Yale, accordingly, was the winner of the triangular debate.