AFTER 60 HOURS GEER IS STILL UNCONSCIOUS
Gas Has Left System but Lack of Oxygen in Haemoglobin Produces Effect of Asphyxiation
At an early--hour this morning Mr. William H. Geer, director of the Department of Physical Education in the University, was still unconscious more than 60 hours after having been asphyxiated by carbon monoxide gas which he inhaled on Friday morning. The accident occurred while Mr. Geer was starting his car in a garage in which the doors were closed. After being overcome, he lay for 45 minutes before he was discovered by his son and transported to the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Roger I. Lee '01, the physician in-charge of Mr. Geer's case, declared late last night, "While Mr. Geer may be said to have improved slightly in condition, he is still in an extremely precarious state.
"The gas has left his system, but the lack of oxygen in the haemoglobin particles produces an effect of asphyxiation which we are trying to combat."
Mr. Geer is not totally insensible, although unconscious of his surroundings. He has made attempts to obey commands by the nurse, and it is thought he has attempted to speak on one or two occasions.
Dr. M. H. Bailey, Medical Advisor to the University, declared, "Recovery from monoxide gas is complete, and the patient feels no ill effects for any length of time, but it is an extremely dangerous form of gas as its lack of odor makes it unnoticeable and its insidious nature works with great speed."