DRAMATIC CLUB WILL GIVE HARVARD PLAYS

Action Is Reversion to Pre-War Policy--Is Added Indication of Student Interest in Drama

Another evidence of undergraduate interest in creative work in the drama was given last night when the Dramatic Club at a special meeting voted to produce plays by undergraduate dramatists beginning with the fall production next year.

It has been the custom of the Dramatic Club since the war to produce plays by foreign authors only, and, more than that, plays which had not previously been produced in this country. This custom was changed last fall when it was decided to produce meritorious plays by native authors which had not previously been staged. In the line with this policy, the fall production was "Pedro the King," by Miss A. Anthony Wyse of Cambridge, and the spring production will be "The Moon Is A Gong" by John Dos Passos '16.

Reverts To Former Policy

Last night's vote does not, however, mark a radical innovation in the policy of the club, but merely a reversion to the policy of pre-war days when undergraduate plays were produced exclusively. The first of these undergraduate plays was "The Promised Land," by Allan Davis '07, which was enacted in the fall of 1908. Among the more important subsequent productions were "The Night Riders" by E.C. Ranck '13, "Manacles" by H.K. Moderwell '12, and the "Scarecrow" by Peroy MacKaye '97, a production written during his undergraduate days and warmly praised by H.T. Parker '89 of the Boston Transcript.

By its action last night the Dramatic Club does not confine itself, however, to the production of undergraduate plays only, but will give special consideration to those works written by students.

The Dramatic Club's offer comes as the most recent of a series of actions designed to promote interest in the drama at Harvard. The first offer made was that of Wallace Eddinger of a two year dramatic scholarship for the most promising actor in Harvard. Close upon this followed the CRIMSON'S offer of a $25 prize for the best dramatic criticism of the current play at the Copley, and shortly, after came the formation of the Theatregoers Club.