EIGHT PRIZE CONTESTS WILL CLOSE TOMORROW

$1500 at Stake--Sharp and Williams Win Sears Awards -- Majority of Prizes Are for Essays

By tomorrow evening eight competitions for University prizes will be closed and all applications for the other competitions must be filed. Prizes amounting to more than $1500 are at stake.

The results of another prize contest, the Sears awards for debate and political question, were announced yesterday. A first prize of $100 was won by Howard Parker Sharp '25 of Pittsburgh, Penn. and a second prize of $25, by Paul Whitcomb Williams '25 of New Bedford.

All manuscripts of competitors for the Lloyd McKim Garrison Prize of $125 must be submitted to the Department of English by tomorrow. The prize will be awarded for the best poem on the subject "The Conquest of the Air."

The Susan Anthony Potter, Heleu Choate Bell, and Winthrop Sargent prize competitions for essays on Literature will close tomorrow. A Potter prize of $100 will be given for the best essay on a subject in the field of Comparative Literature, one of $75 for the best essay concerning the Middle Ages or Renaissance, and a third of $75 for an essay on the Golden Age of Spanish literature. To the winner of the Bell prize $300 is awarded for the best essay on a subject in American literature. An essay on Shakespeare will receive the $100 award from the Winthrop Sargent endowment.

Competitions for two Bowdoin classical prizes and three Bowdoin literary prizes close tomorrow. All essays should be turned in at the office of the Secretary of the Committee on Bowdoin Prizes, 20 University Hall. The Toppar and John Osborne Sargent classical prizes also close.

Notice of intention to compete for the Sales prize in Spanish and the Jeremy Belknap prize in French must be in before tomorrow night.

Theses of candidates for the degree of Ph.D. in 1925 in the Divisions of Semitic Languages and History, of Ancient Languages, of Modern Languages, of Fine Arts, and of History, Government, and Economics will be received until tomorrow evening.

Applications of candidates for Second-Year Honors should be handed in by tomorrow.