NEARING SAYS AMERICAN CAPITAL OWNS MEXICO

IMPERIALISM WILL GROW UNTIL WE GET MERITED LICKING

"Mexico will be swallowed up by the United States, and if this country doesn't accomplish it soon economically, she will forcibly." This was the contention of Scott Nearing in his speech last night on "American Imperialism and the Mexican Revolution" at the home of Mr. George E. Roewer, 1737 Cambridge Street. Members of the Liberal Club were guests.

Mr. Nearing explained the part played by American capital in forwarding the most recent Mexican revolution. New York, to his mind, controls Mexico, as it does the rest of Pan America. It maintains this control in spite of the recent passage by the Mexican congress of a law which directs practically 40 per cent of all oil to the reservoir and the pocketbook of the Mexican government. Oil determines all American intercourse with Mexico.

"The Pan-American Union, of which Mexico is a member, is of no consequence in our relations with all those nations," said Mr. Nearing. "A former New York bank director is at the head of the Union. Loans made by the United States nullify all the advantages, real or imaginary, gained for any nation by membership. Almost all South American countries have had American loans forced upon them. New York cracks the whip and they jump.

"This control of South America is only one outcropping of the imperialism of the United States. Our money has made us virtual owners of the world. We will continue to gain power in Mexico and elsewhere until finally at some rather far off date we get the licking that is coming to us."