Petronius Belabored

THE MAIL--

The Harvard Crimson assumes no responsibility for the sentiments expressed by correspondents, and reserves the right to exclude any communication whose publication may for any reason seem undesirable. Except by special arrangement, communications cannot be published anonymously.

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Two articles which appear in the April Bookshelf seem to me to mar decidedly what is otherwise an unusually interesting and thoughtful number. Both are book reviews by "Petronius."

The point I wish to make is this: the literary style and temper of this anonymous reviewer are lacking in good taste; they detract from the tone of the Bookshelf as a white-checked vest and wing collar spoil the appearance of a quietly well-dressed man.

From the literary standpoint, the reviews are poorly constructed, weakened with verbiage, and sprinkled with immature bits of egotism. The style is over strained by being so spicely sophisticated. I quote at random and perhaps, therefore, unfairly part of a few passages:--

"The mere fact that Mr. Upton Sinclair's opera have one and all been decorated with the well deserved and universal Order of the Razzberry has in no wise constrained that gentleman from appearing in his annual ham act"--

"If Sinclair were not already known as the sourest bellied of all our local swill merchants, his vaudeville might"

"and it was possible for a man to indulge in a bit of dicing, cock-fighting or rum-swigging without having the local gendarmerie about his ears and the stink of the Watch and Ward Society's hired liars in his nose."

"then these were the times of my choice, the allurements of High Ball John and the Black and White Club not withstanding."

If Petronius is attracted to a boot-legging cafe which has already been raided once and to a orgiastic dancing club where whites and negroes mingle, it is not necessary for him to lug his weaknesses into print. These faults in literary taste are exactly those which another reviewer in commenting soundly on "Wild Asses" and "Wild Marriage" scored, and they are far from being characteristic of the Bookshelf as a whole.  Frederick deW Pingree oe