THE BEANPOT MESS

Boston University apparently is not without its 100 per cent Americans, ever ready to champion militarism. The recent issue of the Beanpot has been suppressed and Miss Perkins, the editor, obliged to resign, because she had the temerity to express her disapproval of compulsory military training. There appears again the old bitter problem of free speech. It seems odd after all this has been fought over and thrashed out so thoroughly that any official leg should be left to stand upon.

Obviously R.O.T.C. training was a war-time institution; it was not a compulsory affair before 1916 and it seems incredible to believe that at this late date, seven years after the Armistice, students in a business college in the heart of Boston should still be obliged to undergo compulsory military training. The matter is not one of pacifism or militarism now, despite the opinions of old die-hards". The point at issue is the right to shake off military requirements now that their raison d'etre has disappeared. And the right to assort this truism has been seriously infringed.