PITCHERS HAVE TUSSLE IN PRACTICE BALL GAME

CAPTAIN HAMMOND AND SEVERAL TEAM A FIELDERS ABSENT

While Coach J. W. Gaw was working his Boston University team into shape on a Boston field yesterday afternoon in preparation for the University game which will raise the curtain on the Crimson season this Saturday, Coach Mahan put his progressing aspirants through another of their practice games on Soldiers Field.

The game yesterday only went to five innings and resulted in another victory for Team A by the narrow score of 1 to 0. A real pitcher's battle made the contest one of the most spectacular which has been staged on the field this year. Both Solomon Andrews '27, who did the mound honors for the first team, and Spalding, who was in the box for the seconds, were in rare form, although, the Team A man far outshone his more experienced rival.

Last week Andrews was cut from the first squad and it was not until yesterday that he got a chance in a University line-up. He more than lived up to Coach Mahan's expectations by completely baffling the Team B batsmen with five innings of perfect hurling. The first five men from Team B to face him from the plate were struck out without even a fly to the fielders and as far as scoring was concerned, their team mates met with little better success. Andrews struck out a total of seven men and allowed only one hit.

He was supported by a greatly changed line-up for Team A. Captain Hammond was absent from his post at second and several of the Team A fielders were out for the afternoon. Except for the pitchers' duel the game was not particularly fast and was marred by several errors. The only score came in the fifth inning when Zarakov, who had worked to third by Slayton's error and hits by Howard and Hoffman took home on a passed ball.

The Freshmen and the seconds also staged their second battle on the Freshman field. J. N. Barbee '28, who played most of the game for the first year men was supported by a fast working group of companions in the field and allowed the seconds only one tally. Burns' throwing for the seconds was not so much of a success as the Freshmen gathered in five runs in as many innings.

Team A lined up as follows: J. E. Knowlton '26, 2b., M. F. Anasden '26, l.f., C. D., Todd '26 c.f., G. F. Beune: '27 r.f., C. D. Coady '27 lb., Isadore Zarakov '27 3b., Willard Howard '27 s.s., A. D. Boffman '25 c., Solomen Andrews '27 p.

Team B's line-up follows: Philip Keene '25 s.s. W. P. Ellison '27 l.f., R. A. Doherty '27 c.f., H. E. Slayton '26 3b., J. E. Tobin '27 1b., G. W. Burgess '25 r.f., J. C. McGlone '26, 2b., H. C. De Rham '27 c., Philip Spalding '25 p.