SOCK AND BUSKIN

Maintaining the uniformly high standard of production which has marked its previous performances the Dramatic Club, offers to its audience Tuesday evening Dos Passos expressionista play. "The Moon is a Gong" As in past years, the club is keeping to its plan of avoiding the obvious, and of searching the work of contemporary playwrights in an attempt to discover something that is both characteristic and significant in modern dramatic writing. The effort cannot be too warmly commended, and in the present instance seems to have been unusually fruitful.

"The Moon Is A Gong" is patently not produced for the entertainment of those who see in the work of the expressionistic school the grotesque death agonies of a diseased romanticism. Not quite concealed beneath its fantastic imagery runs an undercurrent of satire against several of the more inartistic features of American life; and it is this indirect accusation that makes the production of the play interesting from a point of view both technical and broadly introspective. For its continued refusal to exploit the commonplace, the Dramatic Club deserves and will receive the thanks of those who believe that the stage can serve a somewhat higher purpose than that of banal amusement.