MISS AMY LOWELL'S DEATH STUNS WORLD OF LETTERS

Had Been Forced to Give Up Plans to Speak at Oxford and Cambridge

Miss Amy Lowell, sister of President Lowell, died at her home in Brookline at 5.30 o'clock yesterday afternoon from a slight shock due to internal disorder. She was 51 years old.

The end came quite suddenly and un-expectedly. Although she had been troubled somewhat by recurrent internal attacks, and indeed had been forbidden by her physician to go abroad to lecture at Cambridge and Oxford as she had planned to do this summer, there had been no intimations that her condition was in any way fatal.

Only a month ago she was the guest of honor at a complimentary dinner given to celebrate the publication of her biography of Keats, which has been acclaimed by critics the world over as one of the greatest works of present times. Among those at the dinner were Professor J. L. Lowes, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Professor E. B. Hill '94, Glenn Frank, Editor of the Century Magazine, Foster Damon '21, and many other representatives of the world of letters.

Miss Lowell was born in Brookline in 1874, and early showed evidence of marked poetical talent. She published single poems from time to time and as her fame and popularity grew she collected them together and published them in book form.

In addition to "John Keats" from her pen have come "A Dome of Painted Glass", which appeared in 1912, "Sword Blades and Poppy Seed", 1914, "Six French Poets", 1915, "Can Grandes' Castle", 1918.

In both her poetry and her criticism, she has achieved a position of eminence. She has held the undisputed leadership in America of the so-called Imagist school of modern poetry. Her research work on Keats and her volume of criticism on modern French poetry have already won fame for her as a scholar. The fact that she has championed the more radical tendencies in modern poetical form has denied her the same fame as a creative artist, but the consensus of opinion among literary critics of the day stamps her as America's foremost living poet.

Mr. E. F. Edgett '94, of the Boston Transcript Literary staff, who has followed her works closely commented as follows: "Miss Lowell was America's foremost living poet. Her recent authoritative work on Keats gave her a still greater position in the world of letters. Her marvelous personality was widely known on both sides of the Atlantic.

Professor C. T. Copeland said.

"As a poet, as a critic of poetry, as an inspirer and helper of young poets, as a biographer. Amy Lowell is a tragic loss to the country. Miss Lowell was the most versatile, and all things considered the most important American woman of letters. We shall realize only gradually what a keen and vital force in literature has been withdrawn."