HIGHER SPORTSMANSHIP

Lord Balfour consoled England recently for the loss of its many international athletic trophies in a manner which does credit to traditional British sportsmanship. In a debate with the editor of the National Review on the question "Does golf do more harm than good?" Lord Balfour expatiated on lawn tennis, which he enjoys, but he also took advantage of the occasion to make it plain that England should feel no tragedy in the passing of athletic laurels to other countries.

"Superiority in games," he argued, "is really not inherent in the British race." Then he went on to show that previous English supremacy in sport came because the British had invented and developed almost every game except baseball, and that other countries had paid England the compliment of imitation. He took the very wholesome view that England has conferred great benefits on the world through games. Of course it is annoying for a nation to be beaten at games developed by itself, but the philosophical Lord Balfour is ready to admit candidly that Englishmen are not fitted by nature for sport in a greater degree than men of other countries.

This attitude of Lord Balfour and whatever portion of the public he represents toward the loss of international sport trophies must not be taken as that of resignation, and a confession of failure. Rather, it is the culmination of the long English tradition of sportsmanship which rejoices heartily when the best man wins no matter where he comes from.