IN FAR AWAY PORTS

Sentiment has played a larger part in the affairs of the American merchant marine than in any other issue of national importance. In the last decades Americans have become great travellers, and the thrill of seeing the American flag in a foreign port has become the experience of many millions. A desire to see American ships in every port has been added to the old romantic notion of reviving the glories of the clipper ship era.

The report that the "government-owned fleet, now being operated by the Shipping Board can be sold, and American companies can operate them successfully" comes, therefore as welcome news to most citizens. The problem of disposal of the vast fleet built to carry troops and supplies to France has ever been a pressing one and has never been solved. Government operation has been carried on at a considerable loss. Private companies have hesitated to assume the risks incident to ocean navigation. This fact is indeed the best commentary on the real status of the American merchant marine.

If conditions were really such that American built ships manned by American crows could compote profitably with the ships and crews of other nations there would be no problem facing the government. It is cheaper for the United States to use the ships of other nations; and in, fact the offering of her shipping is one of the few ways in which Europe can pay back the vast debt owed to the United States. The arguments for a great American merchant marine are based almost entirely on sentiment. There is only one valid argument for the support of an unprofitable institution; that of provision for national defense.

The newspaper report quoted above further indicates that the proposed private operation of the American ships would have to be aided by cheap loans, tariff provisions, and other government encouragement. Such a policy can be justified only if it contributes to national defense, and so far there has been little or no consideration of this aspect of the problem. Sentiment has clouded facts.