TRACK STARS FROM 38 SCHOOLS GATHER FOR HARVARD INTERSCHOLASTICS TODAY

Last night a score of preparatory school men hurried through supper in the Smith Hall dining room and made their way to the Stadium that they might not miss seeing Nurmi attack his own world record. They were the forerunners of the entries from 38 New England high and preparatory schools, whose representatives will engage in the fortieth annual Harvard Interscholastic Track meet at 1.45 o'clock this afternoon.

Promptly at 3.45 o'clock interscholastic events will be completed, in order to make way for the Harvard-Princeton dual meet which is scheduled to begin at that hour. Section 19 of the Stadium is being reserved so that the interscholastic competitors may attend the second meet of the afternoon.

To Eat in Smith Halls

This morning the members of those teams which arrived last night will be served breakfast in Smith Halls, and lunch will be served to all competitors between 11.30 and 12.30 o'clock. The Varsity Club will serve as headquarters for the school teams during their stay in Cambridge.

More than 120 of the interscholastic contestants have signified their intention of attending a dinner at the Varsity Club. Mr. Richard Clark Floyd '11, former track manager at the University and a member of the advisory board of the Intercollegiate Association, will be the toastmaster. H. T. Dunker '25, captain of the University track team, M. A. Cheek Jr. '26, captain of the 1926 University football team, and Mr. F. W. Garcelon LL.B. '95, donor of the annual University hurdles prize, will speak.

Exeter and Andover Rivals

As the teams begin to arrive from all over New England dopesters are busy figuring the possible winner, conceding places on the basis of comparative scores of teams and the times of various stars. As usual metropolitan papers divided their betting money between Exeter and Andover.

Andover, the winner over Exeter in last year's meet, has suffered two defeats this season at the hands of the Harvard 1928 and Yale 1928 teams. Exeter has the confidence gained from two victories to bolster up a team depleted by concessions to the needs of baseball and by the ineligibility of two stars who are over age.

If Exeter or Andover wins, it will be through the efforts of a handful of stars. In such a meet as today's gathering the average athlete is lost in a welter of stars. And almost every school boasis a few of these. But only Exeter and Andover can muster such a rollcall as will be heard this afternoon.

Andover will bring Borah, who has tied the meet record for 100 yards and last year captured both sprints. Healy, holder of the meet record for the javelin throw, is the second star for the Blue. The third bright light of the Andover entries is Paxton, winner of the 220-yard hurdles last spring. Other Andover entries shine less brightly, only because of the brilliance of their three teammates.

The most promising of all the Exeter entries is Swede, who, in the recent Exeter-Harvard 1928 meet, equalled the mile record of the interscholastics, 4 minutes 26 4-5 seconds. In the discus Exeter advances Brandenburg who last year established the meet discus record

The order and time of events for the interscholastic meet are as follows: Track Events   Time 100-yard dash, trial heats  1.45 120-yard hurdles, trials  1.55 One-mile run  2.10 440-yard run  2.20 120-yard high hurdles, final heats  2.30 100-yard dash, final heats  2.40 220-yard low hurdles, trials  2.45 220-yard dash, trials  3.00 880-yard run  3.10 220-yard hurdles, final heats  3.25 220-yard dash, final heats  3.35 Field Events Running high jump  1.45 Pole vault  1.45 Shot put  1.45 Javelin throw  1.45 Running broad jump  2.15 Hammer throw  2.45 Discus throw  2.45