HARVARD TENNIS TEAM DEADLOCKS WITH YALE

Rain Interrupts Play With Score Tied 4 to 4--Whitbeck Plays Brilliantly While Defeating Watson

Rain substituted for skill on Saturday afternoon at New Haven, when the University and Yale tennis teams were forced to suspend play with the score tied at four matches apiece and the deciding match tied at one set apiece.

Ingraham and Whitbeck found the responsibility for the outcome of the match laid on their shoulders, when the rest of the University team, having completed their own matches, left the final score still in the air at 4 to 4. They immediately proceeded to win their first set at 11-9. The second was dropped to the Jones-Watson combination at 4 to 6, when a sudden downpour of rain soaked the courts and ended all thought of further play.

University Netmen Slump

The University players failed to evince the same speed and accuracy that they had demonstrated against Princeton on Saturday. In the singles Captain Ingraham proved an easy victim to Captain Jones' brilliant stroking game. Ingraham rushed up to the net time and time again, trying to anticipate the shots of his opponent but only succeeded in succumbing helplessly to Jones' well-placed alley drives.

Whitbeck provided the most brilliant exhibition of the afternoon when he defeated Watson captain of last year's freshman team, in two straight sets 7 to 5 and 6 to 4.