NAVY SWEEPS TO VICTORY OVER HARVARD ON SEVERN

CLASS CREW LOSES TO YALE AS 1928 150-POUNDERS WIN

Shattering the two mile record for the Severn course last Saturday, the Navy crew swept in a winner, leading the University eight by two lengths and Syracuse by five lengths. The time for the Annapolis boat was 9m. 24 4-5s., which broke the former record of 9m. 30s., while the University and the Syracuse crews came in just 7 and 16 seconds later respectively.

After a perfect start, the race developed into a contest between the University and Navy crews, for Syracuse soon dropped behind and trailed nearly a length at the half-mile mark. The University led by half a length at this point, rowing 36 to Navy's 34, but unable to shake off the clinging Annapolis crew.

For another mile the two leading boats held relatively the same positions, with Syracuse dropping more and more out of the race. The University crept up to a three-quarter length lead at one time, but dropped back again to an even half length.

Approaching the mile and a half mark, the Navy raised its stroke to 38 and crawled up on the University shell several feet. In the next quarter mile, the University was unable, in spite of a spurt, to stem the Navy's advance and a quarter of a mile before the finish the Navy led by half a length.

A gallant attempt to spurt by the University was met by a terrific burst from the Navy oarsmen who shot the stroke up to 42 to the minute, gaining steadily, and crossed the line just two lengths in the lead. Syracuse trailed the University shell by three lengths.

The races held on the Charles resulted in divided honors between the University and Yale. The University Freshman 150-pound crew defeated Yale by two lengths, and the Yale Junior eight led the University Juniors in the champion class crew event.

In the 150-pound race, the University Freshmen got off to a perfect start and took the lead at once over the Yale boat. Rowing a long, deep stroke, the University continued to forge ahead in spite of the quicker beat of Yale. At the finish a gallant spurt sent the University oarsmen a full two lengths in advance of their opponents. The time for the mile course was 5m. 43s. The race was long delayed, owing to a broken rigger on the Yale shell.

In the class crew event, the Yale Juniors were left nearly half a length behind at the start. The course was a mile and three-quarters, and by the mile mark Yale had pulled up and was leading. Open water showed for a hundred yards, but the University Junior crew spurted to within half a length of the Yale craft before the finish was reached. The Yale time was 9m. 50s., with the University four seconds slower.