Phi Beta Kappa Men Desert Library for Diamond This Afternoon; Holcombe, Babe Ruth of 20 Years Ago, Umpires

The University Phi Beta Kappa baseball team is out for new honors. The diamond has lured them from the Key and at 3 o'clock this afternoon on Soldiers Field the team will meet a nine made up of instructors in the Departments of History, Government and Economics.

While the Phi Beta Kappa nine has been studying the game, individually, without benefit of practice, the tutors have already played one game, that against a team of graduate students in which they were beaten. The tutors' only complaint after the game was an expression of regret that their opponents were not undergraduates concentrating in History, Government and Economics.

The game today will be umpired by Professor A. N. Holcombe '06. After the P. B. K. game against the Yale chapter in 1906, in which Professor Holcombe knocked a home run, the Professor left baseball strictly alone, fearing to break his record. Today will be his first appearance on a diamond since that day of 20 years ago.

Although the University Phi Beta Kappa has challenged the Yale chapter to a game some time in June, the Yale men have not answered. It is understood that, since the game is scheduled to be held here this year, the Yale men are unable to afford the trip without pawning their Keys.

The contest last year at New Haven was an overwhelming victory for the Crimson, whose players sold text-books and slide rules to make the journey. Before the encounter with Yale here during commencement week, this year's team has arranged several minor games. H. T. Dunker '25, the manager of the P. B. K. team, announced last night that he is seeking encounters with other sandlot teams and solicits challenges.