AMHERST BEATEN 9-1 IN LOOSE BALL GAME

Lake's Charges Fail to Connect With Ball-Freshmen Lose only After Fierce Pitchers' Duel

Rain, home runs, errors, and freak baseball were all mixed up together in the game on Saturday which the Crimson baseball team took from Amherst, 9 to 1. A drizzling downfall during the first few innings gave way to perfect baseball weather, and the slugfest which the game had promised to become was at the same time switched to a pitchers' duel of sorts.

Toulmin had every advantage on his rival Presbrey, and would have won the game without the help of circuit clouts by Zarakov, Todd and Howard. He let down the visitors with a quartet of safe hits, several of them of the questionable kind, and with six strikeouts to his credit kept the Amherst batters swinging at everything. Seven errors behind Presbrey ruined his game for him. The University garnered only eight hits in all but they were bunched at the opportune moments.

Zarakov started the Crimson scoring in the first inning when he walked, advanced to third on an error by the Amherst shortstop, and scored on a clean single from the bat of Ellison. Todd flied out to Captain Woodruff, who was the visitors' star at bat and in the field, and Hammond, after he had drawn a pass, staged a double steal with Ellison that netted another run. The next inning saw five tallies swell the Crimson budget. A base on balls, an error and a perfect bunt by Toulmin loaded the bases with none out. Zarakov connected with one of Presbrey's offerings and while the ball was being recovered in deep center field, four runs came across. One of these was a run for only a few minutes, for the umpire found that Hoffman, who had been on second had neglected to touch third base. Todd made up for this error of omission a moment later when he smashed another drive over left field, with Bennett on first base, both men scoring standing up.

Howard completed the trio of Crimson home runs in the fifth frame by driving the longest hit of the afternoon on to the Freshman diamond. He himself scored again in the seventh inning when he reached first after Presbrey had foozled his grounder, stole second and came home on Hoffman's single to left field.

The Summary: HARVARD   a.b  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Zarakov 3b.  4  2  2  0  1  0 Bennett e.f.  4  1  1  0  0  0 Ellison r.f.  5  1  1  4  0  0 Todd l.f.  4  1  1  3  0  0 Hammond 2b.  3  0  0  1  7  2 Coady 1b.  4  0  0  11  0  0 Howard s.s.  3  3  1  2  0  2 Hoffman e.  4  0  1  6  2  0 Toulmin p.  4  1  1  0  4  1 Totals  35  9  8  27  14  5 AMHERST   a.b  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Miller 3b.  4  1  0  2  0  0 Walker l.f  4  0  0  0  1  0 Douglas 2b.  3  0  1  2  2  1 Woodruff r.f.  4  0  1  6  0  0 Berts 1b.  4  0  0  9  0  0 W. Parker e.f.  3  0  1  1  2  1 I. Parker  1  0  1  0  0  0 Cameron s.s.  4  0  0  1  2  3 Gramzen e.  3  0  0  3  1  1 Presbrey p.  3  0  0  0  0  1 Totals  30  1  4  24  14  7

*Batted for W. Parker in the ninth.Innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9Harvard  2  5  0  0  1  0  1  0  0-9Amherst  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0  0-