BOWDOIN TROUNCES CRIMSON NINE 8-5

Is Removed for Pinch Hitter After Bad Seventh Inning--Fish Drives in Four Runs--Tobin Hits Well

The University nine suffered its first home reverse of the season yesterday, losing to Bowdoin 8 to 5. The Crimson was outplayed in every department of the game. Robinson bettered his brilliant performance of a year ago and turned the Harvard hitters back with discouraging regularity, allowing only six hits.

Bowdoin Gets Three in Seventh

The first six innings were scoreless, with Spalding and Robinson vieing for mound honors. In those six rounds each team gathered only two hits. Farrington singled to start the Bowdoin seventh. On a hit and run play Small grounded to Coady, who unwisely threw to second too late to get Farrington. Howard muffed the ball, which rolled to left field, allowing both men to advance. Fish, who had struck out twice previously, singled between third and short, scoring two runs. Fish came in a minute later on a single by McGowan.

Harvard tied the score in the same inning. Hammond was hit by a pitched ball and Amsden, batting for Coady, reached first on an error by shortstop Nichols. Howard and Samborski were easy for Robinson, but Tobin, batting for Spalding, smashed a torrid two-bagger down the left field foul line scoring Hammond. A wild throw to second by Robinson let Amsden tally, and a Zarakov single to left tied up the game.

Cordingley went into the box for the Crimson and got in hot water at once. The first batter was safe on an error by Tobin, who took Coady's place at first. The next two men were retired, but Small walked and Fish again came through with a hit. His double to center scored both runners. Captain Blake got a home run when his hit to right was played poorly by Ellison.

The visitors added a superfluous tally in the ninth on two hits and a sacrifice. Toulmin was called to Cordingley's rescue after the first hit, but he could not quell the visitors without before a run was over.

A belated rally by the Crimson in the ninth netted two runs on a hit by pitched ball and singles by Samborski and Tobin, who again came up to standard in a pinch.

BOWDOIN  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Nichols s.s.  5  1  1  3  4  1Daggett c.f.  5  0  2  1  0  1Farrington l.f.  5  1  1  1  0  0Small 1b.  3  2  0  10  0  0Fish r.f.  4  2  2  1  0  0Blake c.  2  1  1  5  0  0Lord 2b.  4  0  0  5  5  1McGowan 3b.  4  1  2  1  1  0Robinson. p.  3  0  0  0  1  2  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals  35  8  9  27  11  5HARVARD  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Zarakov 3b.  5  0  1  0  2  1Bennett c.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Ellison r.f.  5  0  0  1  0  0Todd l.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0Hammond 2b.  3  1  1  4  3  0Coady 1b.  2  0  0  9  0  0*Amsden  1  1  0  0  0  0Cordingley p.  0  0  0  0  1  0Toulmin p.  0  0  0  0  1  0**Hoffman  0  1  0  0  0  0Howard s.s.  4  0  0  3  1  1Samborski c.  4  1  1  8  1  2Spalding p.  1  0  0  0  6  0***Tobin 1b.  2  1  2  3  0  1  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals  34  5  6  27  15  5*Batted for Coady in the seventh.**Batted for Tobin in the ninth. ***Batted for Spalding in the seventh