"ATHLETICS FOR ALL"

From the standpoint of undergraduates no more suitable report could have been submitted than that which was made by the Committee of the Alumni on Athletics. A new baseball cage, a new boat house, a swimming pool, new squash courts, even a skating rink, a golf course, and a polo field have been recommended. Student opinion has long urged these objects as real needs. Several of them have been promised repeatedly, and the swimming pool for one seems to have received all but the official sanction of the Corporation. Now that the Alumni as represented by their committee have taken the same strong stand action is to be expected.

In a measure the report can be explained by a desire on the part of the graduates to build up Harvard's athletic tradition. But fortunately it goes farther than this. Analysis reveals the fact that the committee has been very careful to consider the needs of the graduate school students in particular and those who have no chance to make competitive teams in general. A "Director of Athletics" would fill a very real need in making "athletics for all" an administrative reality. This is indeed the most encouraging feature of the report, for upon such a broad basis the report can be accepted and acted upon not only by fans and athletes, but by academic administrators and by all friends of healthy youth.