PENN CREWS TAKE TRIAL SPINS ON RACE COURSE

Orange and Blue Mentors Plan to Start Heavy Campaign Against Crimson--Light Crew Raced Yale Last Week

Three Pennsylvania crews had their first spin on the Charles yesterday at 12.30 o'clock in preparation for the Harvard-Cornell-Pennsylvania-M. I. T. regatta tomorrow. The Red and Blue eights took the water again at 5.30 o'clock in the afternoon, and went over the course for the first time.

Coaches Wright and Rice, who share the teaching burden at the Quaker institution, announced yesterday that the heavy varsity would represent Pennsylvania as the first crew in the races Saturday. Last week, the lighter of the two Pennsylvania crews faced Yale and Columbia as the first Red and Blue eight, but this boat failed to make as satisfactory time as the heavy crew, stroked by Irimiger. A race was held last Tuesday on the Schulykill to determine which crew would be the first boat in the race tomorrow, and the light eight, stroked by Doyle, was defeated.

Coach Stevens sent his first two crews over the course again yesterday, but both Winthrop and Perkins kept the stroke at a fairly low beat throughout the mile and three-quarter distance and no effort was made at a time trial.