THE BIG REGATTA

Bit by bit from crew headquarters on the Charles has come news that is stirring the eager interest of old Harvard oarsmen through the length and breadth of the land. As the day of the first regatta dawns this excitement has been communicated to undergraduates, so that when the gun sets the blades flashing this afternoon the eyes of all Harvard will be on the straining oarsmen. It has been long since victory smiled on Crimson crews, and the vague and insistent rumor that there is to be a change in fortune is enough to set Harvard's hopes beating high.

The competition in the Basin will be more than fierce. In the last two years M. I. T. has forged ahead rapidly in this sport. Cornell is never without several powerful eights, and Pennsylvania is noted for its high-stroke, hard fighting early season crews.

The Harvard oarsmen, however, should show the results of two year of consistent rowing policy. For some time past each unsuccessful season has meant a sudden shift in coaches, with results more discouraging as the inevitable consequence. With Coach Stevens as head of a new regime the 1921 varsity crews made a very favorable showing against the powerful Yale crews at New London Under the same system of instruction progress has been consistent. Graduates and undergraduates may rest assured that whatever the final outcome may be of this afternoon's bitter struggle, they can shout lustily at the end: "Well rowed, Harvard!"