ELI RALLY IN NINTH FATAL TO FRESHMEN

Barbee and Shoop Pitch Brilliantly in 2-1 Game--Seconds Take Close Battle From Bulldogs 7-6

For the fourth time this year a Freshman team bowed to Yale by narrowest of heart-breaking margins, when the Eli first year men rallied in the ninth inning Saturday to gain a 2 to 1 victory in the best-played game of baseball at Soldiers Field this season. The game was errorless, and was featured by brilliant pitching on the part of both Barbee of the Freshmen and Shoop of Yale.

Victory Snatched by Yale in Ninth

The Freshman football team was stopped a foot from the Blue goal and forced to swallow a 7 to 6 defeat; the basketball team, after leading for the bulk of the game, lost by a single point; the track team gathered a bare two points less than their Yale opponents; but yesterday's reverse was the most disappointing of all. Eight innings of practically perfect pitching went for naught in the ninth after victory seemed within Harvard's grasp by virtue of a single score in the eighth which had broken a seven inning deadlock.

Plate Uncrossed Until Eighth

In the first seven innings each team made two hits, and Yale had not advanced a runner beyond second. Harvard's one good chance to score was in the third, when Crimson runners were stranded on third and second as Pollard struck out. In the eighth Captain Jones beat out a well placed bunt toward first base, Pollard sacrificed, and Lord doubled to let, Jones scoring with what appeared to be the winning run.

Yale came back in the ninth, however, to gain the verdict. Hammersley beat out a slow roller to Pollard, a lucky break for the Blue which put Barbee in a hole. Vaughan followed with a three base drive to right center, Hammersley scoring, and Caldwell immediately sent Vaughan home with a single over the closed-in infield. Barbee retired the next three men with little trouble, but Harvard went out in one-two-three order in the last half of the inning.

The summary:

Two-base hits, Shoop, Lord. Three-base hit, Vaughan. Stolen bases, McClellan, Linscott. Sacrifice hit, Pollard. Base on balls, by Barbee 2, by Shoop 3. Struck out, by Barbee 8, by Shoop 8. Double plays, Pollard, Nordberg and Lord. Hit by pitched ball, Adams (by Shoop). Time 1h. Umpires, Wing and Barry.

YALE 1928  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.McClellan c.f.  3  0  0  4  0  0Hammersley l.f.  3  1  2  0  0  0Vaughan s.s.  4  1  1  0  1  0Caldwell 2b.  4  0  1  0  5  0Schmidt 1b.  4  0  0  11  0  0Lapham r.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0Foote c.  4  0  0  8  0  0Brown 3b.  3  0  0  2  0  0Shoop p.  3  0  2  1  2  0Totals  32  2  6  27  8  0HARVARD 1928  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Nordberg 2b.  3  0  0  2  4  0Jones c.f.  4  1  1  2  0  0Pollard s.s.  3  0  0  1  2  0Lord 1b.  4  0  1  10  0  0Linscott 3b.  2  0  1  1  0  0Norris r.f.  2  0  0  1  0  0Burns r.f.  2  0  0  0  0  0Cozzens l.f.  2  0  0  1  0  0Chase l.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0Chauncey c.  4  0  1  9  1  0Barbee p.  3  0  0  0  3  0Totals  30  1  4  27  10