HARVARD CREWS FAIL TO WIN AT HENLEY REGATTA

NAVY, CONQUEROR OF HARVARD, BEATS PENN IN FINALS

Although none of the three University crews entered in the American Henley in Philadelphia Saturday came through a winner, the performance of the Second and 150-pound eights was eminently satisfactory from a Crimson point of view. Coach Stevens' Second boat lost to powerful eights from Syracuse and the University of Pennsylvania by the narrow margin of a length, but finished ahead of Navy and Princeton. The Crimson 150- pound oarsmen lost to the undefeated Red and Blue crew, but led Yale, Princeton, and Columbia across the line.

Third Crew Beaten in Fast Race

The Third University boat, picked by many as the most likely of the Crimson entrants to win, was defeated by Yale and Pennsylvania in a thrilling race. In winning this event, the Blue shell negotiated the Henley distance in six minutes 46 and four-fifths seconds, which clipped one-fifth of a second off the former record for this class.

Over 20,000 people assembled on the banks of the Schuylkill to watch one of the annual feature events in American rowing circles Saturday. The race for Junior eights was the semi-final event on the huge program, in which 47 crews participated. In the final race of the afternoon, the undefeated Navy crew added Pennsylvania to its string of victims, defeating the Quaker eight by three-quarters of a length in the fast time of six minutes 34 and two-fifths seconds. The record for the Henley course on the Schuylkill of six minutes and 25 seconds was made by the Yale crew last year in the finals of the Olympic trials.

Races Mark Climax of Season

The race Saturday marked the climax of the 1925 rowing season for the Third crew, and the 150-pound squad. Although the Second eight returned to Cambridge following the Philadelphia event, it will go to Red Top tomorrow afternoon to complete the New London squad. Coach Stevens left for Red Top immediately after the races in Philadelphia.