WORCESTER APPOINTED TO SUCCEED DR. ROGER I. LEE

SERVED OVERSEAS DURING WORLD WAR WITH RED CROSS

The University announced Saturday the appointment of Dr. Alfred Worcester '78 of Waltham to the Henry K. Oliver Professorship of Hygiene. This professorship was founded in 1920 and held by Dr. Roger I. Lee '02 until his resignation in 1924. Dr. Worcester will also serve as head of the Department of Hygiene and Physical Education of which Dr. D. C. Parmenter '13 has been acting head this year.

Served Overseas With Red Cross

After graduating from the College in 1878 Dr. Worcester received his master's degree from the University in 1881 and graduated from the Medical School in 1883. He has been a practicing physician since his graduation in Waltham where he founded the Waltham Training School for Nurses in 1885. He assisted in establishing the Victorian Order of Nurses in Canada in 1897. For two years during the World war he served with the American Red Cross as Deputy Commissioner in Switzerland with the rank of Major and was decorated by King Albert of Belgium with the Order of Leopold.

Dr. Worcester was president of the Medical School Alumni Association from 1906 to 1909, and was one of the earliest surgeons to operate for appendicitis. From 1919 to 1921 he was president of the Massachusetts Medical Society. Dr. Worcester was recently nominated for the Board of Overseers, but his appointment makes him ineligible for the office as a holder of a corporation appointment in the University.