LAMPOON MAKES LAST APPEARANCE OF YEAR

Kickapajama and Whiskey Rebellion Should Be Taboo--Lyric Ditty Has Hackneyed Appearance

There are two subjects of current humor which should henceforth be debarred from further mistreatment. These are, of course, any further correspondence of Mr. Irwin's prodigious Japanese Freshman, and the Whiskey Rebellion, which has already been afforded ample space in Mr. Donald Ogden Stewart's inimitable bit in the "Parody Outline of History," in which Mr. Stewart expounds the theory of this liqueured revolt in a very amusing imitation of the bedtime story style of Thornton Burgess. All of which is very interesting but has little to do with the Lampoon's recent offspring. The point in question is, however, that there is very strong objection to the cut on page 332 with its underlying caption, and to the epistle of Hashmundi Kickapajama on the preceding page.

Of course, there are probably other things equally as worthy of criticism in this special Class Day number, but the two at hand seem to be the most salient topics. The bit on the opening page, entitled "Class Day Conversational Guide" is quite amusing, but the same cannot be said for the trolley car scene underneath which gives an outworn joke a rather new but dull twist.

A little ditty, tenderly called "My June Girl," somewhere between the issue's covers, might well have been written in Tin Pan alley, or inserted in the humorous publication of Pomona college. It rather lacks Lampy's customary standard of dignity and originality and has an unpleasant scent of a very poor and backneyed lyric which has been written and rewritten for 10,009 popular pianos and pianolas.

The cover of the present issue is most certainly the best thing about it. Not only is the central idea something new, but the way the theme is treated is very pleasantly fantastic and original. All of which has not yet praised the delicate coloring, which betokens the real artist.

There is a rumor that this Class Day number is Lampy's final bow for the year. If this be true, it would not be well to dismiss the jovial jester without earnest praise. Lampy has undoubtedly been greatly rejuvenated this year, and has shown promise of regaining a lost standard of virtue. The Literary Digest and Business School numbers are too outstanding to require mention, while the issue in commemoration of the Irish saint was not far behind in point of excellence.